Thursday, July 7, 2011

Becoming West Coast



Folk Art, Dick and Jane's Spot, originally uploaded by DRheins.
I am becoming so west coast
Sporting my Birkenstocks all year long
Living layered in fleece and cargo shorts
My face grows free every day or so
Wild hairs left to wave untrimmed

I am changing my uptight east coast ways
Adjusting my face to meet new folks
A Seattle freeze now chills my heart
Walks with me thru ever-damp streets
I sip my espresso slow these days
and await the coming of the precious sun
Enhanced by Zemanta

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

I haven't ever been to this place so I will have to stop next time I am over in those parts. My grandma still lives near there for now. :)

davidrheins said...

Yes, Amy, you'll love it. So much fun art to see and explore at Dick and Jane's Spot.

Sean Vessey said...

You captured the feel of becoming West Coast in your poem, perfectly.

Brian Miller said...

nice...i want to move west...smiles. been a few years since i was out there...

davidrheins said...

Thanks Sean. Something about the land where the sun sets...


Brian -- You know what they say, "Go West, Young Man."

Dr. Jeanne Iris said...

David, I like the image of 'sipping espresso slow.' I had a more frustrating West Coast experience in L.A. Glad to be here in laid back CT. :) Isn't this a great country?! Nice work here.

davidrheins said...

Jeanne -- I agree that it is a great country. Washington State is amongst the most beautiful places I've ever seen.